Friday, January 31, 2014

Confessions of a "healthy" living blogger

I'm doing something today I've never done before. I try to keep things around here as light as possible, but sometimes life isn't all pancakes and date nights. Well actually life has been a bit too much of those two lately and that's part of the problem.

It's hard to claim that I write a healthy living blog if I keep things light on the healthy and more on the living. Not that the two are mutually exclusive, but I've definitely let the healthy take a back seat pretty much since my 5k in November.


I've never been one of those girls who struggled with my weight, and despite numerous well meaning comments about improving my appearance I've never really had an issue with body image. But lately I've been having issues. It started small, a pair of pants that were too tight out of the dryer, extra wiggle under the sleeves of a short sleeved dress.



But then the holidays hit. And a couple of crazy cold snaps. And an icky nasty cold. The excuses pile up, the workouts get shorter, and in a few short months I've found myself at my heaviest weight since starting college.

As of yesterday (when I stepped on the scale at the school gym) I weigh 135 lbs, about 15 lbs heavier than I started college at and 10 lbs heavier than I was this fall. Now before anyone gets any crazy ideas I know my weight is well with in the average range for my age and height, I know my BMI is on the low end of normal, and I know that as a general rule my body looks pretty good.

I also know that sitting down and eating a pile of pancakes for dessert because I had a long day is not the way to deal with my problems. I know that I would feel healthier and more confident if there was more muscle and less jiggle on my body. I know I am tired of being tired all the time and struggling to get out of bed each day. I know I feel my best when I am active on a regular basis. And I know that I'm doing myself a disservice by working towards anything less.


The planks and push ups I've been working on this month have brought back some of the definition in my arms, but I deserve to have that same excitement about my legs and my back and my belly. I'll still be sharing the sweet and cheesy treats, the fun weekends with the BF, and my latest obsession on Netflix, but it's time I put the healthy back into being a healthy living blogger. 

I'm not necessarily looking to lose weight. I know one of the "perks" of getting into my mid-twenties is  that my metabolism will keep slowing down and my body will keep changing. I just want to do what I can to make sure those changes are for the positive. 

Whew that got pretty deep for a Friday, huh? No questions today, just wishing you all a fabulous weekend!


7 comments:

  1. Whatever you need to feel good! I'm kind of in the opposite place where I'm actually feeling better with a little more weight and less working out. I feel more awake and not nearly as hungry as I used to be. Everyone is different and you gotta find what works for you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm working on getting there :) Thanks for the positive words!

      Delete
  2. Love it. Love the honesty of it all.

    Sometimes life creeps up on us and weight gain happens- but bravo for not deciding to go all restrictive or anything like that-but rather embrace the muscles and appreciate the metabolism you have now- and healthier habits.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks :) I'm doing my best to add in new habits and see where they'll take me.

      Delete
  3. Wow. So brave of you to share all of this Sarah. You definitely look great, in my opinion, for what it's worth. And I like you emphasis more on "feeling good." That's what's important.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks girl :) I'm working on getting myself towards "feeling good" and comfortable in my own skin... it's a process but I'll get there :)

      Delete
  4. Damn girl you look good. Cat call. Whistle, whistle.

    I also know how a little extra weight can make you feel sluggish, especially when it comes in the form of some less than healthy eats. They're great once in awhile, but eaten consistently they sure can drain the energy from you.
    It sounds like you're doing the right thing; taking a closer look at your diet and finding a way to love your workouts again (dance parties yeah). Keep on eating; just make sure it's more whole foods, less weird chemicals. The rest will sort itself out.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?