Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chopped Kitchen Challenge: January 2014

Hey guys! I know everyone is on their healthy kicks for the new year (except us cool kids who like our veggies year round) and what better way to promote those healthy choices than with a  Chopped Kitchen Challenge full of seasonal super-stars!


To start the year right we're featuring some of my favorites that just happen to be great for finding in the middle of the winter. Kale is a super dark, leafy, green that goes well in sweet and savory smoothies, soups, and salads. Clementines are a perfect little portion of vitamin C goodness (for fighting off a winter plague of your own perhaps?). Pears aren't just tasty (though they are) they serve well warm and cold which is great for the temperature fluctuations this time of year. Chia Seeds are a fun little super food, and Santa just got me a big bag for Christmas, so why not add them to the mix. 

The rules are the same as usual. Use as much or as little as you like of one or more of the ingredients in an original recipe, and share your creation with everyone in the party at the end of the month! The link up goes live on January 30th so you all have plenty of time to get in the kitchen and explore. 

Can't wait to see what you all dream up :) 

8 comments:

  1. I can't wait to see what everyone does with these ingredients!! (: I am always looking for new ways to use chia seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm hoping for some inspiration myself :)

      Delete
  2. You bet I will be joining in, but it has to be with chia seeds...all your other items are damn expensive/out of season here in Australia. ;) Ohh I can see a chia seed pancake creation happening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? Sorry! I didn't account for different seasons on different continents! But chia pancakes sounds so good :)

      Delete
  3. I actually have a recipe with pears already created so this is perfect.... Can't wait to see your creations! Good picks for the new year :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sweet! I love when you make things because they're always yummy :)

      Delete
  4. You know I like mixing fruit with just about anything, and pears are so super delicious right now.
    Chia seeds on the other hand is a trend I never got into, although since I've never eaten them, I can't say whether I'd like them or not. I hear they have a strange gel like consistency so that usually keeps me away.
    Great ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I was surprised when I opened the bag on Christmas, so I figure why not see what other people can do with them :) I usually just chuck them into thin smoothies.

      Delete

What do you think?