Thursday, December 19, 2013

CKC December 2013: Reveal Day!

Hey guys! This has been a festive week of eats no doubt and I’m here to add to the party today with my very own Chopped Kitchen Challenge link up. The challenge this month was to use any of these holiday flavors cocoa powder,peppermint, citrus, or cinnamon  in a baked good of your choice. The world is your virtual cookie exchange for the next week while the party is live. 



I admit to having every intention of making a batch of Madison's homemade carob chips to try as a chocolate replacement in these recipes... buuutt time got away from me and regular chocolate chips and to do. 

I managed to use all 4 ingredients this month (though only 3 in the same recipe I'm afraid) and as a result I have 2 very different holiday treats to enjoy. I teased you all yesterday with the first one...


All the deliciousness of regular popcorn, dressed up in holiday style. This was an easy and delicious treat, that I may have had trouble sharing :) 

Candy Cane Popcorn
1/2 cup popcorn kernels
1 TBSP oil for popping
4 squares almond bark (about 3/4 cup melted)
3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
4-5 candy canes crushed

In a large pot (or air popper if that's your thing) heat oil and kernels. Cover with lid and swirl occasionally until all kernels are popped. Dump all popcorn onto a sheet tray and pick out any unpopped kernels (your teeth will thank you later). 

Meanwhile melt almond bark in the microwave on high, in 30 second intervals, until smooth. Pour over popcorn and toss to coat. Next melt chocolate chips in the microwave on high, in 30 second intervals, until smooth. Drizzle chocolate over popcorn and immediately sprinkle with candy cane pieces. Allow chocolate to cool completely before breaking into pieces and storing in an airtight container. 


The next treat I made is a classic christmas cookie in my mind, Chocolate Covered Florentines. 




I adapted my mom's recipe for florentine sandwhich cookies to pack a little more punch, and fit my GF needs. The result is the lacy, crispy, cookie of my childhood with a fresh new flavor.

Chocolate Covered Florentines

makes 24-36 cookies 


1 stick of butter
1 1/2 cups rolled oats (GF)
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup flour (GF, I've been using the costco blend)
1/4 cup corn syrup
1/4 almond milk (could sub coy or cow)
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp cinnamon
3 TBSP fresh orange juice
2 oranges zested
1 cup semisweet chocolate chips 

Preheat oven to 375*. Melt butter in a large pot, over medium heat. Once melted add sugar, oats, flour, almond milk, and corn syrup, and stir to combine. Add in cinnamon, orange juice, and the zest of 1 orange. Drop batter by the teaspoon full onto a foil lined baking sheet, be sure to leave space between the cookies as they spread. Bake 6-8 minutes until edges are brown and cookies are golden throughout. Allow to cool one minute on the baking sheet before moving to a counter or clean cookie sheet to cool completely (cookies will be soft at first, they harden as they cool). 

Melt chocolate chips in the microwave, on high heat in 30 second intervals, until smooth. Spread chocolate evenly over cooled cookies,and sprinkle with remaining orange zest.

Your turn to link up your treats and eats, I can't wait to see what you guys have been cooking this month!


7 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Do it! I just made a second batch this week and it was just as good ;)

      Delete
  2. Sarah! That popcorn looks amazing..... but I had to google almond bark. I thought it was part of a tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh Arman. This just made my morning. That's actually what I thought too when I first heard the name a few Christmases ago :) Glad you googled it and didn't just take a bite off of an almond tree. lol.

      Delete
    2. I don't know if I have a better reply than Madison, but I am also glad you didn't just go around biting trees!

      Delete
  3. I love lacy crispy cookies, and you know how I feel about citrus; it should smack you upside your head. Sorry I didn't make it to the linkup party this month. Things have just been way to hectic at work. Hopefully my schedule will be better next month.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Between how busy you've sounded and the plague you've had you hardly have to apologize! I'm just glad you survived in one piece :)

      These cookies have the kind of citrus you would love... and between the "fruit" and the oats I had no problem treating them as a breakfast food!

      Delete

What do you think?