Thursday, November 21, 2013

Chopped Kitchen Challenge: November 2013 Reveal Day


Happy Thursday Everyone! We're running on a short schedule this month due to Thanksgiving next week, but on the bright side you get a chance to check out everyone's fall flavored goodies before the big day. 


The ingredients this month were cranberries, sweet potatoes, allspice, and thyme (a less exciting herb than some people thought, sorry). These are some classic Thanksgiving flavors that I was excited to cook up a little differently. 

The first thing I made was a mixed batch of sweet and savory sweet potato fries. Dual flavored fries, dual dipping sauces, what could be better right?





I made classic salt and pepper fries to dip in mustard thyme "aioli" (I don't have a better term for my mustard, olive oil, and thyme combo). I also made allspice dusted fries to dip in leftover apple butter. 

The other treat I have is a Thanksgiving (as well as a general fall) classic in our family. Adapted from the 1988 Woman's Day magazine, Apple Cranberry Crunch is a staple on our table as long as cranberries are in season. 



This is my personal adaptation (don't tell my mom I cut the sugar!) no one has ever noticed a difference from the original, and this way I don't feel as bad eating it for breakfast the day after Thanksgiving!

Filling

3 cups diced apples (we use Macintosh)
2 cups cranberries
½ cup granulated sugar

Topping
1 1/2 cups old fashioned oats
3/4 cup chopped pecans
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 cup all-purpose flour (GF for me)
1/2 cup melted butter

Preheat oven to 350*. Mix filling ingredients in a shallow baking dish. Combine topping ingredients and spread evenly over the filling. Bake for 45 minutes until topping is browned and filling is bubbling around the edges.

So now it's your turn! What were you able to make using this month's challenge ingredients? Any Thanksgiving traditions of your own you want to share? 

7 comments:

  1. Apple cranberry crunch sounds amazing! Is it acceptable to eat it for breakfast? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nothing to share this time :( I was going to use all spice in my muffin recipe but forgot. I *almost* just shoved it into the ingredients list because I know it would work well and then I could link-up with you. But that would be a lie. Haha.

    Traditions? Aside from coming home to 2 weeks worth of leftovers from my grandma? Haha.Well, we actually always travel out of state for Thanksgiving 3 1/2 hours to see my dad's side of the family so I guess that's a tradition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds like an awesome(?) tradition... I hate long car rides, but I love family :)

      Delete
  3. Hi,
    We’ve recently launched the website Mytaste.com. It’s a search engine that gathers all the best recipes from US websites and blogs in one place. Mytaste.com is part of the world’s second largest family of recipe sites, with sites in 37 countries and hundreds of thousands of visitors every week. We’ve noticed that you have a lot of great looking recipes on your blog that we would love to feature on our site. To read more about how it all works and to sign up with your blog, please visit: http://mytaste.com or send us an email on info@mytaste.com. We look forward to hearing from you!

    Kind regards,
    Senka
    Site Manager

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love sweet potato fries and dual dipping sauces no less. Now that's impressive. I've actually been tasked with making sweet potatoes for the big day, and I'm absolutely planning on going with a savory option versus the typical sugar filled marshmallow bomb. We'll see if I get invited back.
    The Apple Cranberry Crisp looks great. It doesn't hurt I love any kind of crisp because they always my favorite: fruit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear there's someone else who doesn't like their sweet potatoes swimming in marshmallows! Though my mom usually drowns ours in butter and cream and I'm not sure that's much better.... tastes great though!

      Delete

What do you think?