Monday, September 2, 2013

WIR #18: The Blog in Review year one

So I guess last Thursday was kind of a big day for me? It marked the year to date since I launched my little corner of the internet.... and you all thought I was just going to let it pass by?! I'm hijacking Meghan's week in review this week to bring you my 

(she won't mind me breaking the rules I hope!) 

I've learned a LOT this year, in terms of writing, eating, and exercising. I started graduate school, saw my BF graduate college, moved back in with my parents and out of my childhood house, and saw my baby brother off to his freshman year of college. 

This blog was started as a little slice of my life, that's my slogan and I've tried very hard to stay true to that. Along the way I've focused my viewpoint, tightened my presentation, and met some really awesome ladies!!

The one thing that has stayed the same is my dedication to whole body wellness. I recently cleaned up my "Slices of What?" page to highlight this dedication and I wanted to share the highlights with you today :) 

The driving force behind everything here is wellness (but not in the sense that you might think). I'm a firm believer in whole body wellness, you can't live your life to the fullest if you don't take care of yourself mind, body and soul. That's right I'm advocating wellness that includes dancing, veggies,laughter, vitaminskissestears, chip dippuppy kisses, late nights, highlightersmistakes,second chances and so much more.

In fact the only thing I WON'T advocate is regret because I don't believe in it. Everyone makes choices they are less than proud of and has demons they would rather leave in the past. But regret won't do you any good, so it's best to take the lesson for what it is and get on with the good stuff.


Physical wellness- This is the one most people think of. It means keeping your body healthy with good nutrition and regular exercise. It means staying informed of what goes into your body, and staying realistic about what you expect out of it. Life is a balancing act and your health is no different, no one is going to be perfect all of the time (and let's admit it that would take the fun out of things). The key here is consistency. It's building healthy habits and routines and then sticking to them. It's learning to listen to your body and not the latest trend. It is not easy, but you are worth it!



For me it means taking time to run AND hit my yoga mat. Eating a mostly plant based diet AND still enjoying treats. Treating my body to good food AND supplementary vitamins (to ward off those evil migraines). 

Emotional-social wellness- This is is the one that is most often pushed to the side to be dealt with later, or worse forgotten about completely. I get it emotions are messy they bring us from the highest of highs to the lowest of lows, often with little warning. But emotions are human, they are what drive every decision we make and at the end of the day they make it all worthwhile. Ignoring your emotions, bottling them up or shoving them into some dark corner of your mind or heart, is one of the most toxic things you can do to your body because you are limiting your ability to truly live. Emotions are messy but you know what, so is life, we can choose to embrace the chaos or let it pass us by but life is going to happen whether you want it to or not.




 For me this means making time to connect with my family, friends, and BF. I want to savor each moment for all that it is worth through letters, pictures and memories.


Spiritual wellness- This is the most personal dimension, because it can mean as little or as much as you want it to.  I feel that everyone believes in something and whether that is Allah, Buddha, God, or the universe those beliefs carry the importance that you give to them. Some people take their faith and live it everyday, some use it to justify fears and biases that they don't want to admit to themselves, and some people come back to it only when their need is strongest. That's the beauty of faith, it comes solely from what you put into it never asking for more than you have to give and it provides some degree of comfort for the situations that force us to expand our understanding of our own humanity. 





For me this is found in moments of meditation (and occasional prayer). I haven't been to church in a few years but I haven't ruled out returning if I found a congregation that was accepting and affirming of my personal beliefs. 


I have some exciting things planned for this year (beyond the obvious of earning my Masters and my professional license) though I'll be up to my usual link up shenanigans too! Thank you all for making this such a great first year, I'm excited to see what's to come!



6 comments:

  1. First off, happy blogiversary! Here's to many more exciting years to come! :)
    And second, this is such a wonderful post! All of the ideas you highlighted are areas I'm constantly striving to work on as well. Life is just a huge teeter-totter and takes a lot of skill to balance, but the only way to achieve it is through practice. I'm so happy I have found your blog and can't wait to see what you have planned! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on 1 year, Sarah! How exciting! Your plans for the future sound great and think of how you've grown during this year. Amazing. Enjoy the spotlight and enjoy your week!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogiversary! A year mile stone is a huge deal so congratulations...and to think I just met you a few months ago.

    It sounds like you really have a good grasp on wellness for the whole body. So often we talk about balance when it comes to food, but you hit the nail on the head. It applies to mental, physical and spiritual health as well. It all goes hand in hand.

    I'm excited to see what year two brings you as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Blogiversary! I can't wait until I hit a year. It's seriously such a HUGE accomplishment! So, pat yourself on the back! I'm SO glad you started this little corner of the website. Your approach to TOTAL body health is seriously so inspiring! I'm so excited for many more years of blogging! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. Great job on one year! You've really had some awesome posts. You should be incredibly proud. Looking forward to reading more from you :)

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?