Tuesday, July 2, 2013

What I'm doing this July

July is a big month for me. Not only is it the big weekend with BF that I've been looking forward to for months, but I also get to play house and puppy sit at my aunt's while they're on vacation. Since I've always said I want both a place of my own and a puppy after graduation next year this will be an awesome little trial run for both of those (plus it gets me out of the shared room with my brother!). Add into that summer clinic, only 1 class and (finally!) steady hours at job #1 and job #3 and I'm looking at a whole lot of busy fun.

With all that in mind I thought it was important to start the month with some clear goals as far as my physical (and mental) health and fitness. Since I tell you guy's everything anyways what better place to share those goals than here on the blog?

Physical Health
"workout" 5x a week. Don't judge me for the air quotes, those are there so I don't offend anyone who actually works out. Since you all know my most intense workout is a round of 8 minute abs with some bodyweight work thrown in I don't want to give anyone the impression that I'm going to suddenly start training for a 5k or anything crazy like that... My workouts will be more along the line of yoga + bodyweight strength training or take the dog for an hour walk. They may not be groundbreaking, but they're improvements for me and that's what counts.

Eats
I'm going to continue my quest to clean up my eats. It should be fun since I'll be stocking my own fridge and doing my own cooking while I'm at my aunts so expect to see lots of veggie-goodness and recipe testing going on this month. Which is a perfect tie in to...

Blog
I want to get an original recipe tested, photographed, and up here each week. I'll keep doing my regular link ups and chatting a little more regularly. I also want to take a little more time clean up the site (and maybe find everyone's comments I managed to delete).

Mindfulness
I want to take some time this month (while I'll have so much free time) to start living a little more mindfully. I'm hoping to journal a little more regularly or at least take count of my blessings on a regular basis. I did a lot of complaining around here last month (we've all been there) and reading back, while everything I said is true, it comes off as very self absorbed and contrary to my (generally) positive outlook. I'm going to start now by saying "thanks" to all of you who hung around last month, you've seen me at some of my worst moments and I can't wait to share some of my best with you :)

Two list-y posts in as many days, aren't you a lucky bunch! Do any of you ever include your blog on your goal or to-do lists? Who has a good tip to encourage reflection on the little things? 

8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. It goes with the new planner I (finally) bought!

      Delete
  2. Yeah, girl, yeah! I love these types of posts. It sounds like you really have a great idea of which direction you want to be moving in. I love that you're touching on multiple elements of health, not just working out. I see far too many bloggers focusing on physical health at the expense of emotional health, but it sounds like you're super well-rounded over here :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww thanks! One of the things I've really been pushing towards in grad school is whole body health, because I feel like I can't serve my clients the best if I'm not at MY best... I'm a work in progress still but I'm getting there :)

      Delete
  3. I should set goals like these! We actually have really similar goals! I love the 'workout' one! I totally feel you on putting air quotes. It's sometimes needed! I love you mindfully one! My grandma bought me a beautiful journal for Christmas, and it's so nice to write what's going on in it. Also, light yoga with a lot of meditation can be a lot more fun than you would think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never tried meditation before (I wasn't big on prayer when I used to go to church either...) I just have such a hard time getting my brain quiet! I do love to journal though, especially if the journal is pretty :)

      Delete
  4. I don't doubt for a second you won't be able to achieve your goals you've set for yourself this month. Just stay determined, focused & motivated my dear <3

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know how I feel about lists and since goals are really just a type of list, I whole heartedly love this post. House sitting for your Aunt has got to be pretty exciting since you get your own space, your own eats and a puppy to play with. I remember how much I enjoyed house/dog sitting back in my collegiate days. It was always such a treat.
    Cleaning stuff on the blog is always on my to-do list. This year I changed the header, got on Instagram, started a Facebook page for the blog. I deperately need to revamp my recipe page though.
    A great way to reflect is a gratitude list (and it's another list!). Before you go to bed every night, jot down three things you are grateful for that day. It's a great way to be thankful and count your blessings.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?