Thursday, May 23, 2013

Super Hot Hummus

Hey guys, thank goodness this week is almost over. I don't have any super-crazy plans for Memorial day weekend. Between work and the start of graduation party season (seriously 2 cousins and my brother just this year) I'm actually going to be running around quite a bit, but I am looking forward to a few days off from class.

When I shared my eats with you all yesterday I showed this little wrap...


(GF Teff tortilla, carrots, spinach, tomatoes, and spicy "hummus")


I promised you the story behind the hummus today, because its creation really was a happy accident of sorts. 



So I was all set up to make a mini batch of hummus this weekend. The traditional kind with tahini, garlic, olive oil, a little dried basil and chickpeas. When we make our hummus at home we usually add just a dash of cayenne pepper to really amp up the flavors. 

Well the lid on our bottle of cayenne has been cracked for a while, but as long as you hold it it has been working fine (famous last words). I was getting everything into the mini food processor, getting ready to blend when this happened. 



It's hard to see in the picture but there is a good 4-5 tablespoons of cayenne in the bowl of my little food processor there. (seriously like 1/3 of the jar)... whoops. I didn't have more chickpeas so restarting wasn't an option. I've had red pepper hummus before and while I wan't a huge fan I ate it, I figured it was worth blending this up to see how it came out. 

Now I like to think I have a pretty good tolerance for spicy, I don't like things that give a tom of heat (like adobe peppers, not a fan) but actual spicy taste works for me. This was enough to get my sinuses running though!!

Don't get me wrong I've been happily eating it all week (and may try a milder, non-accident version for next week).  But there is no denying that this stuff packs a punch. :) 

Since it was created through an accident, and I've never seen a recipe add that much cayenne to a recipe with so few other ingredients I'm putting this one in the strange but good category. 



(Thanks Laura!) 


Extra hot hummus (if your taste buds can handle it)
Serves 8

Time 10 minutes

1 can chickpeas, rinsed well and drained
1 clove garlic, minced
4 TBSP Cayenne pepper
1 tsp dried basil
2 TBSP olive oil
1-2 TBSP water, as needed

Place garlic in the bowl of your food processor and process until minced. Add chickpeas, basil, olive oil and cayenne pepper cover and process until smooth, about 3-5 minutes. You may need to scrape down the sides to get all the ingredients to combine. Add the water, a little bit at a time until you reach the desired consistency. 

Serve on wraps, on chips, with veggies (I tried a spoonful but it was a bit much!)

What's the last happy accident you made in the kitchen? 

6 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete

What do you think?