Monday, March 11, 2013

Sicky noodle soup

Sorry about yesterday. We had a busy morning cleaning the house and then I had 3 different clients to tutor throughout the afternoon. By the time I got home to have this wonderful dinner the walk back out to my car seemed too far. 


(Look at those shrimp!)


The jambalaya my mom made for dinner was delicious though, probably one of the best things I've had to eat in a while :)


Today I spent the morning running errands before heading down to the BF's. Most people go someplace exotic (or at least tropical) for spring break... I'm just happy to go someplace I can sleep in for the week!

Problem in BF came down with a cold over the weekend. Homemade soup has always been a bit of a joke between us, but I decided to be nice and actually make up a batch for dinner tonight (it's hard to say to such a sweet, loving boy when he doesn't feel well). 

My favorite thing about soup is that the base is flexible for a variety of ingredients, which is good because BF certainly had a random assortment of veggies in his fridge...


(Just what the doctor ordered!)

Like I said basic soup is easy to customize to your tastes (or the contents of your crisper) but here's what I made today...

"Sicky" Noodle soup
serves 2

1 hour

1 red bell pepper (diced)
1 green bell pepper (diced)
12 baby carrots (diced, this is about 1 normal carrot)
1/2 TBSP butter
1 TBSP chicken base
4 cups water
2 tsp Italian herb blend
2 tsp garlic powder (or 1 clove minced garlic)
2 chicken breasts (diced)
1 tsp cinnamon (yes cinnamon)
1/2 cup uncooked pasta (Ancient Harvest is my favorite)
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a large pot (or dutch oven if you have one) add peppers and carrots and saute 1-2 minutes until fragrant. Add water and chicken base and stir to combine. Stir in cubed (uncooked!) chicken  Italian herb blend and garlic powder. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer for 30-45 minutes (the more time the softer the veggies will be). Test for seasoning and add salt and pepper at this point if desired. Add pasta and cinnamon 5-6 minutes before serving for perfectly Al Dente pasta. 

Serve warm to a sick loved one :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?