Monday, March 25, 2013

Eating for the cure

Hey guys, sorry I got out of touch yesterday. I had a terrible migraine Saturday night (the kind the results in hyperventilation) and spent most of Sunday playing catch up on all the work I missed :(

Saturday was scary enough that I recommitted myself to really tracking what goes on inside and around my body in hopes of never going through that again. 

On a lighter note I spent a bit of time catching up with these guys...


(aren't they cute?!)

My Aunt and my cousin are out visiting our family in Seattle right now (Hi Guys!) and I would give anything to be there hanging out with them instead of in class this week. 

Wishful thinking on my part, so I'm making the best of things around here. And on Sunday night that meant steak! 


(and crispy roasted potatoes!)

My mom has been talking about making steak and potatoes for weeks now, and on Sunday she finally gave in and did it. It was definitely a special treat of a dinner, and it was nice to enjoy it with my parents in a much more positive state than I had been in the night before. 

Plus we made a lot which meant my favorite, leftovers! I sliced up a bit of that leftover meaty goodness to change up my usual lunch salad. 


(don't mind if I do)

Call me crazy though, but the best thing I ate today was actually my breakfast :) I made up a batch of granola last night to enjoy with my morning yogurt and I have to say it came out beautifully. 


(I mean look at it)

In fact I liked it so much I decided to share the recipe with all of you!


Gluten Free Millet Granola
serves 6-8

Time 45 minutes

1 1/2 cup gluten free oats
1 1/2 cups millet, cooked according to package directions
1/4 walnuts (or nut of your choice), chopped
1/4 dried cherries (or dried fruit of your choice)

2 TB coconut oil
4 TB honey
1-2 tsp cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350*. Combine coconut oil and honey in a microwave safe container, heat in 30 second intervals until coconut oil melts and the two combine. Stir in cinnamon and set aside. 

While that is in the microwave, combine first four ingredients on a lined baking sheet. Pour oil and honey mixture over oats, millet, nuts and fruit and mix (your hands work best for this) to coat. Place in preheated oven for 30-45 minutes, until golden brown (checking on it and stirring in 10-15 minutes intervals). 

Allow to cool fully on baking sheet before transferring to a airtight container to store. This will last about 2 weeks (if you can keep it around that long!).

Remember that the great thing about granola is that it is infinitely customizaable. This would be tasty with quinoa in place of the millet (or a mix of the two). You can also add more/less fruit or nuts to make it to your liking. Get creative!


No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?