Thursday, January 3, 2013

Myfitnesspal

I want to make it very clear that my plan for whole body wellness this year is not about losing weight. Health revolves around more than any number on a scale or in the waistband of your jeans. And I've never had the kind of obsessive personality where I can maintain an interest in calorie counting.

That being said I've recently started re-using one of my favorite free apps, myfitnesspal, again after a hiatus for most of last semester (they also run online for you non-app users). While I originally used it to track food for portion control (as it is intended) I recently realized that it could be equally helpful in pinpointing my potential migraine triggers (more on this in a minute).



I know, I just said that I wasn't into the whole calorie counting thing, but here me out for a minute. This app runs on a database of already existing,  user entered, foods (everything from Arby's to Starbucks) while also giving you the ability to scan a bar-code or translate a recipe to enter in your personal preferences. It is a fast and easy way to track not only calories, but sodium, sugar, fat and vitamins. There are separate tabs for tracking (and ensuring) you drink enough water and get your physical activity in. And you can add in each meal with only a couple of swipes.

If you are trying to lose weight, I could see where this could be highly beneficial  One of the most important steps in creating healthier eating habits is building an awareness of your current pitfalls and this app allows you to do just that. It even has goal setting and motivational components built in.

And then there's me... Like I said, I have used this successfully in the past to gain an awareness of my eating patterns and I found it great. I eased off on using it when I put my personal health on the back-burner under the pressure of last semester, despite its ease of use, simply because I lacked the motivation to care. I have returned to using it with a new purpose, migraine control, and I will be using it diligently to track my food until I am able to hunt every hidden trigger in my diet down (I'm a girl on a mission!).

Regardless of your personal interest in wanting to track your food I highly recommend this app for its sheer convenience. Download it to your phone today and see what I mean, you won't be sorry :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?