Monday, November 12, 2012

Keeping it healthy

Keeping it short today as I celebrate my last night of being 22 (actually I'm writing one paper, editing a group project and tutoring calculus, just like a party right?)

I figured a short post was better than no post though, so this week I am treating you to a week's worth of healthy lunches. I don't know about you but packing a lunch to take with me often seems like the most difficult part of my morning, and I'm always stealing ideas for keeping it fresh each day so I figured I would share the love :)


Monday: leftover chili with pepperjack cheese and tortilla chips, sliced veggies with homemade dill dip and a sliced apple with a handful of almonds to eat on the drive home. 


On Tuesday's I have clients in the evening so I pack lunch and dinner. Last week was a salad for lunch with romaine, tomatoes, cucumbers, sunflower seeds and ranch. There was a sliced honeycrisp apple to snack om between clients and leftover black bean enchiladas with a side of "Mexican hot chocolate" flavored Greek yogurt for desert. 

Doesn't that salad look tasty? :)




Wednesday's I work in the morning but I get to eat lunch at home, so I finally got on the hasselback potato train and decided to treat myself to a nice garlic and Parmesan potato for lunch. This could have been packed to go if I had cooked the potato (without melting on the cheese) the night before, and used a potato that I could have reasonably fit in one of my to go containers. 


Thursday is another salad, Greek inspired this time. It's romaine and cucumbers topped with leftover chicken from the night before marinated with tomatoes, feta and lemon vinaigrette prior to lunch time. There are a some sliced bell peppers and carrots to snack on for the drive home (bust sadly we had finished all the dip by this point in the week). 



For Friday I had a bowl of leftover chicken cashew stir fry (I added a bunch of extra veggies on top) with a banana and a homemade GF brownie (you need something sweet to finish off the week!). The pear is perfect for the drive down because I work at the desk all day so I'm driving down bright and early. 

So that's it one week's worth of (mostly) healthy lunches.I'm big on re-purposing leftovers if possible, or throwing together a large salad if the fridge is looking empty.  I try to keep them packed with vegetables, a small portion of protein. I always have a snack that I can eat in class or on the drive home, and occasionally I pack a little treat :). Add a few travel mugs full of herbal tea, my favorite right now is a lemon ginger made by Stash, and a big old jug of water and it's a good day. 

What are some of your favorite lunches to pack for the week? I'm always looking for new ideas :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?