Monday, September 10, 2012

Breakfast of champions

First and foremost can I say that I am loving this beautiful Fall weather that seems to (finally) be starting up around here. No offense to the other three seasons but Fall has always been my favorite. I love cinnamon and sweaters and curling up with a hot mug of tea on a cool crisp day, so the third day in a row where I can wake up in the morning and feeling just a little bit chilly is wonderful.

In honor of this lovely weather I made a decidedly fall treat for breakfast this morning.


 Okay, technically I started making it last night, but regardless these Apple Cinnamon Overnight Oats are ridiculously simple to put together and the end result is delicious! Here's how it goes down...


Gather up all your ingredients.


Add oats to a jar (or bowl or other container). You'll notice I tend to use jars for carrying containers, in part because they're pretty but mostly because we have a ton of them around my house :)



Add in one container of applesauce, I use the all natural, no sugar added kind from Motts. Then add enough water to bring the liquid level up to 1 cup. Another plus in using the jars is they have measuring markers right on the side.


Add cinnamon and the lid, make sure it's on tight! And give it a few good shakes :)



Then the best part, just find a place for it in your fridge and let it hang out overnight. It really is that easy.



The next morning...


This is the fun part, and also where you get to customize. I added in a whole chopped apple, a handful of sliced walnuts, and a drizzle of honey. It may look and taste like fall but it was well over 70* today by the time I was going to be eating breakfast so I decided to leave my oatmeal cold (tastier than it sounds, I promise). You could easily pop it in the microwave for a minute or two to warm it up as temperatures get cooler, just remember to put it in a microwavable safe container from the start.


And that's it, add a spoon and a mug of tea and you have the perfect breakfast on the go :)




Apple Cinnamon Overnight oats

1/2 cup uncooked regular oatmeal
1 container (a little over 1/3 cup) applesauce
 water to total 1 cup of  liquid (depending on how much applesauce you used) 
2 tsp cinnamon 
1 chopped apple
1/4 cup chopped walnuts
1 TBSP honey

Combine oats, applesauce, water, and cinnamon in a resealable container. Cover with lid and shake to combine (I suppose you could stir it if you wanted to, but shaking is more fun!) Place in the fridge overnight, or at least 6-7 hours. 

Before eating, top with apple, walnuts and honey. Microwave for 1-2 minutes if desired. 






No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?